Not every day you get a view like this, eh? In my attempt to upgrade well, everything, I found an easy DIY project for this air vent that only requires a few things.
Poster frame (or wood)
First, I got the measurements of the existing air vent. My initial plan was to build a frame out of wood to match the dimensions, but I came across this old poster frame in the house and had a much easier idea. This frame was a bit bigger than the existing vent, but as long as it’s not smaller it would work out just fine. The original vent was 16×20 and the poster frame was 18×24.
I took a piece of Aluminum sheet metal in a clover pattern and used Metal snippers to cut out a piece that would fit inside the frame. Then, I used white Rust-oleum Spray Paint to paint around the black poster frame and the metal.
I sprayed 2-3 coats, waiting for each coat to dry each time and ensuring the frame and metal were fully covered. Once dry, I put the white site of the metal into the frame, like you would a picture and secured it with the clips. Since the backside of this cover wouldn’t be seen, I only focused on painting the fronts.
Here is a side by side of the original vent and the new one. Feels like we’re exiting the 90s, one update at a time…
As you can see, the vent was a bit bigger than the opening in the wall. After I put the air filter in, I screwed two screws above the opening to place the new cover on. Similar to how you would hang a regular picture. This allows for easy access when it is time to change out the filter. I just lift up the cover and place it back on – no need to unscrew anything!